In this didactic session, GP participants will learn practical tips to assist in the management of concussion in sports. This session will explore:
- Managing concussion on the sideline – Recognise and remove
- Assessing concussion in the clinic – What is relevant on history and examination?
- Guidelines for Return to training and Clearance to play – What is the role of the doctor?
- Prolonged symptoms and recurrent concussions – Principles for decision making
- Concussion in children and adolescents – Special considerations
By the end of this session, GP participants will be able to:
1. Recognise the symptoms associated with concussion in sport
2. Outline the usual timeframes for recovery
3. Investigate or refer if medically concerned
4. Discuss the guidelines for return to sport
5. Plan an appropriate Graded Return to Play (GRTP) program
6. Ensure medical clearance before return to unrestricted training and play